Wednesday, January 11, 2012

E-Readers and todays stuff

I looked at several ways to lessen the weight of books while traveling and to have all of my books with me at the same time. I decided that we have PC's, a laptop, and cell phones with data plans for going on the internet. I really did not want a tablet just an e-reader. Next was to decide which one. There are several on the market. Nook and Kindle are just 2 of many on the market ( E Readers ).
I looked and compared lots of them and decided that a Kindle would be the best for me. We looked online thru the different stores that sell them, ebay, craigslist, etc. I thing to mention about Thom, he likes to shop and likes to make sure he is getting a good deal so we looked for several months. We eventually found a Kindle with 3G+wifi and no ads on it. They regularily go for $189. We got it from Craigslist with the Lighted Leather Cover and 2 cords to charge with it. The person had not used it much and then decided she wanted a Nook colour instead so was selling her Kindle. We got it for $125. I don't read alot of magazines nor do I want to so was not interested in the Nook colour. I like books more.
I go onto the Amazon site and look for books and decide which ones I want from there and when I want to download them to the Kindle I just turn on the internet then from the device. As soon as I am done downloading I turn off the wi-fi / 3g. Saves me from charging it too often. There have been reports that if you use the light portion of the cover than it drains the battery, I have not noticed that it drains it all that fast. But then again I am not reading more than an hour at a time with the light on. I charge the Kindle about once a week or so.
Unless you have one of the very first Kindles then yes you can put, and read, PDFs on there. If you have other books that are not in the format for Kindle on your computer, there is a conversion program that is free you can download to convert them and then move them over to the Kindle. It should take less than 5 mins from start to finish. On the model I have I can also get audiobooks on it. Makes it nice to just download one for a trip instead of just getting what a store might have.
Thom has been reading from his phone and sees how much I am enjoying my Kindle and we are now going to get one for him. I have the white version of the Kindle with the red cover, it looks like Thom is going to get the black one with the black cover.

2 comments:

  1. Maybe they aren't leaving comments because they shouldn't be from where they are....this is gulfgoatgem.....hint....we temped together a while back in Sarasota.....initials...LG....lol...love the blog...gonna really look take closer look at your e-reader thoughts.... hope all is going well for you both...hmmm who is that..... oops better get back to work! sigh! >^..^<

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey girl!! Get back to work!! Wish I could but the docs have decided that too many medical things are wrong so no more. Getting dizzy at times, so hot so fast that I get sick, crushed nerves etc, things like that it seems is not good for a work environment.

      Delete